CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 13, 2008

Wonderful News!

Went to the doctor today with my mom today, and I just wanted to let you read the email she sent to all our prayer warriors. It's a little long, but so worth the wait! She has such a way with words. Notice at the end where she mentions that she can't wait to spend the week with her grandchildren (notice how she omitted the children part!)

ENJOY!! There is power in the name of JESUS!

Dear Sweet Prayer Partners,

Now that I finally have my "Victory '08" group in place, I'd like to send weekly updates so that you will know specific answers to prayer and specific prayer needs for that week.

First of all, I cannot express how grateful I am for each and every prayer sent up to the Father on my behalf. I am blessed beyond measure. Today Betsy and I were talking to my oncologist and we told her that this group of doctors is about the most prayed for group on the planet! She was grateful and said that she certainly believed in the power of prayer.

Updates since my initial e-mail. I did have the MUGA test which showed my heart to be in fine shape! Next day I had my "porta cath" inserted successfully and the very next day, Friday, May 23, it has its inaugural infusion of chemo. And here is where the "fun" really stopped! My chemo meds consist of 3 different ones combined with a lot of initial stuff to cut down on the side effects as well as strengthen my bones. Apparently the chemo did not get the message about cutting back on side effects because I experienced every one that the literature on it suggests could happen. Unlike the 2003 round, a different med. was added, and what normally consists of 3-5 "down days" ended in about 2 weeks. I required IV fluids to offset complete dehydration. When I was at my lowest, Dr. Fox told me that we would get through this "crisis" and then determine what could be done to prevent all of this again. During the week of "devastation" I lost 13 pounds - yes that is about 2 pounds per day. I do not recommend this as a weight loss option! Needless to say I was eager to hear what we could do to prevent an encore - and to think what my insurance is billed to do this to me ! Something's wrong with this picture! The one day session and the follow up shot the next week was $33,700.00. My Aetna insurance is awesome - I only have to pay a $30.00 copay each visit. What an awesome blessing. On top of that I have a cancer policy which comes directly to me.

This week has been almost normal - whatever that is! I experienced the loss of my golden tresses and went for a wig fitting Monday. This is without a doubt one of the most difficult phases of the whole ordeal. I discovered the "Walk of Hope" boutique at the new cancer center at St. Vincent's and the folks in there are absolute angels in dealing strictly with cancer patients. I picked out a rather sassy wig whom Betsy and I named "Florence" (I figured if Donna Deegan can name her wig, so can I !) - got some cute hats, turbans and scarves, so I'm set for the duration. You just won't know which look I might have when you see me next!

In the meeting with the oncologist today, Dr. Fox said that I will begin a new schedule of chemo. Instead of getting the full "whammie" every 3 weeks, I will go each Friday for 3 weeks in succession and receive 1/3 of the dose. The 4th week I'm off, only to start the schedule again the following week. I should be able to recuperate over the week end and be back in full swing for a few days at the time. Her prognosis is great - said she expects full remission. Will probably be on chemo for the majority of this year.

We go on vacation this week - 25 family members - to the mountains. I will come back early with my "side kick" Betsy for treatment Friday. Looking so forward to the week with MY GRANDCHILDREN!!

My request for prayer is that you stay with me - daily- on this journey. Most of all, I want to remain strong in my faith and trust in the Lord as the Great Physician, and as I pray for you who have committed to pray with me, we'll see victory in all of this.

I love you all - please pass this on to others with whom you might have shared my story. Please let me know if you have needs I can pray for with you. Many of you have shared scriptures, and I am keeping them together - trying to memorize! That is NOT easy at my age. The one passage which has remained with me from 2003 is 2 Cor. 12: 9-10 - look it up - it is awesome. Paraphrased, it says :His grace is sufficient for me - in my weakness but in His strength, I am made perfect....I take pleasure in my infirmities...for when I am weak, then I am strong.

2 comments:

Tamara said...

Betsy, this is Tamara (Stapp)Blankinchip. I stumbled upon your blog by "accident".....maybe on my part, but not the Lord's. The Bowden's shared with me about your mom and her cancer returning and I have been and will continue to pray for her. I have learned alot over the past few years about our precious Lord and that He does answer prayer. I pray His healing hand on your mom along with His mercy, peace, strength and grace for all of you. God is good and I look forward to rejoicing with you when your mom is cancer free! We love your sweet family and we are here; praying without ceasing! Thank you for sharing on your blog as I will continue to check it. God Bless You!

Love,
Tamara

Melissa said...

Praying for your mom every day.